• You can earn a permanent ☑️Verified status for your account across the entire Hytale Hub Network simply by following @Hytale_Hub on Twitter!

Why a Free-to-Play business model would be a DISASTER. (IMO)

AgentB8

Hytale Corps
Master
Okay.

I'm not going to ramble on about how microtransactions are literally death to the community - us. The purpose of this post is to explain why a f2p model would actually be death for Hypixel Studios themselves.

Now, it would be crazy to say that f2p doesn't make a good profit. Just look at the mobile game industry (which I have a whole other issue with); they make millions a day! That's because they use a very shifty system of actually luring players into a false sense of freedom just to make them pay more than what they normally would have if the game was p2p. Free games get money by either plastering ads everywhere, or using... microtransactions! (or both if you're a mobile game..)

Here's the deal. The only way I could see Hytale doing a f2p model is having microtransactions. However, I can't think of a single thing they could put money on other than cosmetics. League of Legends and Fortnite have in-game currency. There are probably gold coins or something in Hytale too, but the problem is that the mentioned games are multiplayer only. When you mix heavy single-player and some optional multiplayer, there's no way you can balance any type of currency. That means the microtransactions would have to be skin customization, probably emotes (they've shown us those), and any other cosmetics there are.
There are a couple of problems with this.
One: they are so heavy on modding, everyone will 100% just code those cosmetics right back in. I know this wouldn't work for multiplayer, but still...
Two (and most important): Nobody will buy them. The only reason to buy cosmetics would be for the multiplayer, and based on how much they would probably have to charge for these things, I feel like a lot of people would just deal with it.

You could direct towards Minecraft Bedrock Edition, where they do basically the same thing with the Marketplace. The thing is, that game is actually p2p but with microtransactions. That proves that the purely cosmetic transactions don't bring in an adequate amount of money; it's just tacked on the side. What's more, their Marketplace isn't even just skins. It includes maps and Realms. If one game has to charge like $7.00 and have over three different things you have to pay for, that has to be an example that pure cosmetic microtransactions just cannot be enough.

If Hytale pans to make an adequate amount of money from purely cosmetic microtransactions, they are going under.

I can't put it more clearly. There is no other logical thing to charge for other than the full game. I'm not saying any of this will happen, but this is my perspective on what will happen if they don't charge for the game. It goes without saying that players will hate microtransactions.
But what doesn't is that the game itself will fail too.

Last edited:

Nixinova

Gamepedia
I agree that they should use a business model such as Java Edition's; ~$30 for the base game with free updates, like Minecraft Java, is around what I'd expect and am hoping for. Hypixel would know that their audience is going to be mainly players coming from Minecraft Java Edition, and Java Edition players generally dont have a ... very favourable ... view on Bedrock's microtransaction system, because they're (we're) used to just being able to download maps and packs off the internet.

Jordan

Dreamleaf | CEO
Master
It also would cause another issue for server owners to deal with the insane amount of botting that would occur

pqtch

Helper
Staff member
Helper
Master
Yeah they definitely couldn't do f2p

Zodak

Lead Moderator & Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Master
I agree with this.

Fox

Honestly I don't really care I'd still play this game

Catbert45

Verified
☑️Verified
I wouldn't mind what business model Hytale gets. Minecraft was p2p so Hytale could be p2p too, but Riot Games has always only released f2p games so Hytale could be f2p.

Although I mainly only play f2p games, I would probably make an exception for Hyale if it was p2p because it sounds so awesome and I would pay for it even if it was twice the price of Minecraft. A f2p model would be cool and a way to attract more players faster, but like you said I don't think they can make enough money from cosmetics alone and they would have to make the game p2w which would ruin it. Although f2p models work great in many other games, Hytale isn't the right kind of game to use one unless they find a really creative way to do so.

Another issue with a f2p model is that the community might get overrun by masses of Fortnite players (no offense.)