• You can earn a permanent ☑️Verified status for your account across the entire Hytale Hub Network simply by following @Hytale_Hub on Twitter!

HytaleHub Mobile Experience

hova

So I've been checking out the mobile experience of the HytaleHub website for a bit. Going to different parts of the site and seeing overall how I feel about it and how it is as a mobile site. By default, Xenforo is actually really responsive out of the box. The viewing experience on most Xenforo sites is pleasant! I checked out a few other major Xenforo sites based around the Minecraft community (obvious to do that because this site is inspired for MC-related forums) to see how HH compared. And if I'm going, to be honest, the mobile experience isn't really all that great. I know it's early on for HH, but I thought I mind as well mention this now. So I'll explain my reasons why below.

When I'm on my phone, I'm viewing the site on a 5.3 inch display (1440x2560). I can see quite a lot when viewing different sites, applications, etc. However, there isn't a lot of screen real estate when browsing through a different sections of this website. This all varies depending on one's screen size, but I thought I'd bring this up since I think an improvement on the mobile experience can benefit users on all devices.

So when scrolling through a forum, node list, or a thread, the screen real estate is eaten up by a) the newest member tab on the bottom of the screen and b) the navbar/user bar in a fixed position on the top (I haven't worked with Xenforo in a long time, but I believe that's what the setting is called. Pearson or a forum developer can correct me). I would recommend hiding the newest member tab and keeping the navbar/user bar in a static position at the top of the page so if you start scrolling down, you won't see it until you scroll back to the top. You can simply add a "Back to top" button to fill this change (for lack of a better term).

Another thing I want to mention is the group banner, awards/badges and additional information present in the user card on a forum thread. Sometimes it looks a bit wacky (using Pearson and another staff member as examples) and the amount of information filled in the card can take a lot away from the viewing experience. I would look into improving that some by shrinking the size of the banners for example so it's easier on the eye and it frees up some more of the screen real estate.

When people are browsing through different websites on a mobile device, they're going to expect their screen real estate to be maximized. That's because they're going to be reading some sort of blog post, article, etc. And the more that fills the screen, the less people are going to view the site on a mobile device. And everyone and their grandmother is using a mobile device nowdays, so this is really important. I don't think people want to be in the position where they're on their phone hopping between answering different threads and conversations and accidentally tapping the link to their profile or the Discord integration widget.

I can't think of too much more regarding the mobile experience of HH. But if anyone else wants to include their own thoughts, feel free to do so. Despite the issues I stated above, I think the site looks really professional and I look forward to seeing the future development of the website!

Pearson Wright

We will definitely take all of this into consideration. We've been looking for ways to improve the mobile perspective of the site for a while now. Thank you for this. :)

Fade

Helper
Staff member
Helper
I know you have already received a response from another staff member; however, I had to compliment you on how much time you spent writing this. Thanks for giving us an in-depth, detailed essay regarding bugs and much more with the website. Props to you!