• You can earn a permanent ☑️Verified status for your account across the entire Hytale Hub Network simply by following @Hytale_Hub on Twitter!

Hytale in Reality: Metals

Antnest8

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
☑️Verified
By Antnest8

For a while now we have known several of the major Ores of the game and we have a small Idea of which ones are better based on game stereotypes and also the bit of information we have from blog posts and screenshots. However, at this moment we know very little about any other detail about these ores. Because of this, I decided to find some information from real life about these materials and possibly, we can get a glimpse at their properties!

Metel research.jpg

Copper

Strength

Copper is an incredibly common metal in survival-video games and is generally found early on and is used for low tier equipment. This checks out with real life as copper is generally too malleable to make any good equipment in it’s pure form. However, if mixed with other metals (such as tin to make bronze) copper can be strengthened and real metal weapons can be made! We can assume copper will be used for only low tier equipment as of now.

Availability

Copper is widely found in either 2 forms: It’s native form and it’s ore form. Copper’s native form can be found on the surface but is likely to be found near water. However, native copper is normally found near areas of volcanic activity. Copper Ore is formed from geothermal activity in sediments and basalt, meaning that volcanic activity is once again a telltale sign of copper. Taking this Information, if Hytale is on the more realistic side of ore generation the we would see a lot of copper in Zone 4 from the active volcanic activity in Native form, but zone 2 would contain the most copper in Ore form. Zone 3 would have little to no copper and zone 1 would have sparce copper

Other Properties

Copper has some other properties that could be useful! Copper is an excellent conductor and we have seen wires in the trailer, so if wires are actual items in-game copper could become very useful!

Copper is anti-bacterial!

I don’t know how they would add that, but maybe it could be a cool mod Idea!

Finally Copper tarnishes as many already know, and Hytale could add copper block’s similar to what Minecraft has.

CopperArmor.jpg

Iron

Strength

Everyone knows about Iron. Virtually any game that includes metals to be mined will have Iron. The properties of Iron are well known. Iron is a strong metal that can bear a lot of weight. It of a medium density and can be worked on when hot. Iron can be strengthened by making alloys like steel. Steel and Iron make great weapons and armor.

Availability

Iron can be found in a variety of Ores but is rarely in pure form. It takes immense heat to smelt Iron from these Ores. Iron Ore is found most of the time in sedimentary rocks. This is because most of the Ore was created when Iron was Deposited by ancient oceans. If Hytale follows this trend then a majority of our Iron would be found in Zone 2, with a decent amount in Zone 1 and sparse pockets in Zone 3

Other Properties

Rust! Any Iron equipment might begin to deteriorate in Hytale, we see Rust on skeletons and it might effect a swords stats

Magnetism is a mechanic that Iron has that is incredibly rare. This can come in the form of Compass in Hytale or maybe even magnetic machines or attacks.

Iron is also a conductor of heat and electricity. While not as good as copper we could see Wires use Iron, but more likely, Cooking equipment!

IronArmor.jpg

Thorium

Strength

Thorium is the first surprise in the list of Metals Hytale has introduced. Thorium is a real metal, but is often overlooked in real life, despite it’s cool name. Thorium is dense and would be a burden to carry or wear, however This also means its all the better for stopping penetration, especially from bullets and arrows. Despite thorium being placed as a better metal in Hytale; Thorium in real life would perform as well or worse than Iron.

Availability

Thorium is found everywhere in small amounts, but it can also be found in concentrated form in a variety of area’s. I would not expect Thorium to be found in one Zone more than the others (realistically).

Other Properties

This is where things get… interesting. Thorium is naturally radioactive and is therefore toxic. Making Thorium armor in real-life is not a good Idea. I don’t believe Hytale is planning on adding that mechanic in the game, but they did make Thorium a green metal. In real life Thorium is silvery and the only reason you would associate thorium with green would be from the stereotype that radiation is green. If Hytale were to add radioactivity, then a wide range of possibilities open up for thorium…

• Nuclear Power: Thorium is radioactive enough to be used as nuclear fuel. It is not radioactive enough for a bomb though.
  • Glow-in-the-dark stuff: Nothing is better than putting on glow-in-the-dark paint and getting radiation sickness, but hey… it looks cool
Maybe it’s not a ton of possibilities, most of the uses of radiation don’t fit in a fantasy game, but radiation does have a small chance of making it in Hytale

Thorium_Armor.jpg

Cobalt

Strength

We don’t know where Cobalt ranks on the list in Hytale but I would put It under Copper! Cobalt is stronger than copper and you won’t dent your tools as easily; However, cobalt is brittle and would shatter if put through enough stress. Cobalt makes good alloys, but is usually the secondary metal.

Availability

Most Cobalt is found at the bottom of the ocean in metal nodules. However, this is hard to get to (this would be AWESOME if it was in Hytale though) so the best source of cobalt is in sediments and volcanic areas. I would think that Cobalt would be found in all zones while being rarer than other metals

Other Properties

Cobalt is known for being poisonous, you can wear some armor, but be careful of any dust in the air!

Cobalt can also make magnets! If Magnets are in Hytale, we could see an extra use for the blue metal!

1611890684506.png

Conclusion

That finishes my analysis of the Metals of Hytale. There are also Gold and Silver, but their properties are widely known to the world. I will mention that Hytale will likely not use many of these properties. Scaling and balance is more important for a game with magic in it, than realism. However I do think there will be special niches for each metal to be utilized in Hytale and this list might help and because I don’t know how to end the post, take this quote from the Civilization 5 metallurgy research…

"There never was a good knife made of bad steel."

– Benjamin Franklin

Chris H.

Administrator
Staff member
Site Admin
Awesome write-up as always Antnest!

Firestar

Staff member
Thorium is also a viable candidate for a more efficient nuclear reactor fuel in real life, but something tells me Hytale won't be implementing nuclear reactors any time soon. Anyway, very nice list, it will be fun to have a wide variety of materials to take advantage of.

GERALD

Helper
Staff member
Helper
Nuclear would sure be fun. I could live out the rest of my life in an underground nuclear vault while everyone else goes on enchanting missions.

Demon

Astroface
Staff member
Wiki Editor
☑️Verified
This is pretty cool. I hope there is even more ores

Zodak

Lead Moderator & Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Master
I can't wait to see what types of weapons are available in Hytale.

Looch

Helper
Staff member
Helper
What an analysis! Super interesting to read. I'm looking forward to more posts about potential features!

Nic2121

Wiki Editor
Staff member
Wiki Editor
hmm…personally, I always thought the progression order of the metals would go:
Copper>Iron>Cobalt>Thorium
(or Copper>Iron/Gold>Silver>Cobalt>Thorium)

And you make a good point on Cobalt which I hadn't thought about, which is it's brittleness… so maybe it might end up being like Minecraft's Gold set, which then begs the question if gold will be similar in Hytale?

Another thing that I just thought of that makes me think that it could be a worse material is it's availability, as compared to the other rare materials, like thorium, Cobalt can be found in large quantities underground and can even be found in just sitting on a barrel in a Zone 3 tower.

but still, a very interesting article to read

Reyrey

As we know @Antnest8 he always does the good threads.

Maniac

Staff member
There's been some fine commitment within this thread and I gotta say that It truly does. This was enjoyable to read though!

Reyrey

I say the same