• You can earn a permanent ☑️Verified status for your account across the entire Hytale Hub Network simply by following @Hytale_Hub on Twitter!

Free or Paid and how much should it cost?

More or less than Minecraft

• Total voters

Chnapak

So this BIGGGGGGGG discussion paid or free and how much should it cost?

So I think it should cost 27 dollars

Ok I will debunk some arguments on the Hytale fandom and say what I think about some stuff

Hytale will NOT be popular all the free games are so popular:
Ok so it's true that it won't be that played too much but it will be famous and people will be watching the let's play, modding tutorials and other stuff (so it will be POPULAR but not be played too much)

It would be free it would still make money because of microtransactions:
Well they would make more money if it should be paid (this means more developer and etc) PLUS microtransactions it would be hated a little bit AND you what if you could donate (MORE developers)

More or less than Minecraft:
I think a little bit more like 25-30 dollars because if it was 15-20 dollars it would seem like some sort of a Minecraft mode Idk tell me in the comments or in the pool what you think

Ciaran

Dr. Shrek
Legend
Master
☑️Verified
Hero
Make it less. This way, Minecraft cant make their game higher priced. It was like 20€. Now it is 24... Make Hytale around 14? 9?

Chnapak

Make it less. This way, Minecraft cant make their game higher priced. It was like 20€. Now it is 24... Make Hytale around 14? 9?
Do you mind hackers flooding your server? I'm saying this because I want to discuss it ;)

MAKE IT FREE OR I WILL EAT YOU!

Fox

25$ seems reasonable

Fox

They will have an anticheat
And it will be better than the one people create on Minecraft. Hytale is their own game and that is the advantage in creating their own anti-cheat or using Easy anti-cheat.

Jesse

Staff member
Master
The smart thing would be below the Minecraft price. I hope it will be around $15 but could be around $20 as well.

I don't think they need to go below Minecraft's price, and I doubt they will.

Minecraft's PC playerbase is made up of people who've already purchased the game - conversely, the playerbase Hytale will draw from will largely be current or ex- Minecraft players. In that sense, you can't make the comparison of "Do I buy the cheaper Hytale or more expensive Minecraft?" to determine which you want to buy.

From the trailer and the few blog posts we've had, Hytale appears substantially better as a long-term platform than Minecraft, largely due to the sheer creative freedom it provides. Given this fact, if they go down the road of Buy-to-Play, I can see the price approaching $30 and potentially more.

Which I don't disagree with. Hytale looks like a fantastic game with a replay value higher than even Minecraft, funded by Riot and adjusted based on advice by some really big names, including Blizzard's ex-Chief Creative Officer. I'm more than willing to pay their asking price.

That said, there's a few concerning points as it pertains to microtransactions:

• Hypixel, as a Minecraft server, essentially earns all revenue from microtransactions. Of course, this is by necessity - you can't make them buy a game to play Hypixel (well...)
  • Two of the "angel advisors" of Hytale have prior experience in very microtransaction intensive markets. This by no means indicates that Hytale will include microtransactions as these people are only advisors, but it's something to consider. I'm also not sure if these people are angel investors. As follows:
    • Anthony Borquez co-founded a freemium game company based in Shanghai as well as Grab Games, the producer of a mobile game called 'Gold Miner' which is another game with in-app transactions. Conversely, however, he has also been involved in several Buy-to-Play VR titles.
    • Dennis Fong, the first professional gamer and a big part of Xfire (if anyone else remembers that). However, his recent business includes advising WeGame (Chinese Steam) and the now defunct Boycah Inc., the producers of several freemium games like "MyTown" (essentially Farmville and that, from what I can tell.)
  • It seems they might be funded via VC, given that Jeffrey Lo is the Managing Partner of a VC firm with Riot as Hytale's main backer. This means a lot of pressure to achieve high profit margins given time, nothing like Minecraft which was individually funded and made a ridiculous initial profit. To achieve those profit margins, they might have to branch into microtransactions - but nothing's confirmed.
  • Riot, their primary investor, is known for their cosmetic & loot box based microtransaction structure.
These are all just observations, however, and I can't personally see how they'll introduce microtransactions. And, really, conjecture is pointless at this point because even if they introduce microtransactions people will still buy and play it.

I think we can safely discount Free-to-Play, as most F2P games make their money through cosmetics or P2W devices, and neither of those can be offered with the current game setup. Besides, the microtransaction model comes with Hytale's official Hypixel server which I'm sure they'll make plenty of money from.

(It's Sunday, I'm bored, and I enjoy research.)

Fox

Minecraft's PC playerbase is made up of people who've already purchased the game - conversely, the playerbase Hytale will draw from will largely be current or ex- Minecraft players. In that sense, you can't make the comparison of "Do I buy the cheaper Hytale or more expensive Minecraft?" to determine which you want to buy.

From the trailer and the few blog posts we've had, Hytale appears substantially better as a long-term platform than Minecraft, largely due to the sheer creative freedom it provides. Given this fact, if they go down the road of Buy-to-Play, I can see the price approaching $30 and potentially more.

Which I don't disagree with. Hytale looks like a fantastic game with a replay value higher than even Minecraft, funded by Riot and adjusted based on advice by some really big names, including Blizzard's ex-Chief Creative Officer. I'm more than willing to pay their asking price.

• Hypixel, as a Minecraft server, essentially earns all revenue from microtransactions. Of course, this is by necessity - you can't make them buy a game to play Hypixel (well...)
  • Two of the "angel advisors" of Hytale have prior experience in very microtransaction intensive markets. This by no means indicates that Hytale will include microtransactions as these people are only advisors, but it's something to consider. I'm also not sure if these people are angel investors. As follows:
    • Anthony Borquez co-founded a freemium game company based in Shanghai as well as Grab Games, the producer of a mobile game called 'Gold Miner' which is another game with in-app transactions. Conversely, however, he has also been involved in several Buy-to-Play VR titles.
    • Dennis Fong, the first professional gamer and a big part of Xfire (if anyone else remembers that). However, his recent business includes advising WeGame (Chinese Steam) and the now defunct Boycah Inc., the producers of several freemium games like "MyTown" (essentially Farmville and that, from what I can tell.)
  • It seems they might be funded via VC, given that Jeffrey Lo is the Managing Partner of a VC firm with Riot as Hytale's main backer. This means a lot of pressure to achieve high profit margins given time, nothing like Minecraft which was individually funded and made a ridiculous initial profit. To achieve those profit margins, they might have to branch into microtransactions - but nothing's confirmed.
  • Riot, their primary investor, is known for their cosmetic & loot box based microtransaction structure.
These are all just observations, however, and I can't personally see how they'll introduce microtransactions. And, really, conjecture is pointless at this point because even if they introduce microtransactions people will still buy and play it.

I think we can safely discount Free-to-Play, as most F2P games make their money through cosmetics or P2W devices, and neither of those can be offered with the current game setup. Besides, the microtransaction model comes with Hytale's official Hypixel server which I'm sure they'll make plenty of money from.

Jesus you wrote a whole harry potter chapter

I agree. I would prefer to buy the game, and I think the same price as Minecraft would be fine. Too cheap and I suspect they'd have no choice, monitarily speaking, but to include microtransactions.

Pottertale

So this BIGGGGGGGG discussion paid or free and how much should it cost?

So I think it should cost 27 dollars

Ok I will debunk some arguments on the Hytale fandom and say what I think about some stuff

Hytale will NOT be popular all the free games are so popular:
Ok so it's true that it won't be that played too much but it will be famous and people will be watching the let's play, modding tutorials and other stuff (so it will be POPULAR but not be played too much)

It would be free it would still make money because of microtransactions:
Well they would make more money if it should be paid (this means more developer and etc) PLUS microtransactions it would be hated a little bit AND you what if you could donate (MORE developers)

More or less than Minecraft:
I think a little bit more like 25-30 dollars because if it was 15-20 dollars it would seem like some sort of a Minecraft mode Idk tell me in the comments or in the pool what you think
Hytale as a lot of you already know is more than just a game as it has the functionality and features of a game engine. Unity, Unreal and other game engines are free to use so I would assume that Hytale to some extend may also be free. The content that you will have to purchase could be the different content packs that Hytale will provide for example the fantasy adventure story more. Then I am sure that Hytale will be releasing a lot more content packs in the future with exciting new assets.

The information that we have provided above is what we think will happen. However do not take our words for it.

Jesus you wrote a whole harry potter chapter
Speaking of Harry Potter, hello :D

Tohru

Hytale as a lot of you already know is more than just a game as it has the functionality and features of a game engine. Unity, Unreal and other game engines are free to use so I would assume that Hytale to some extend may also be free. The content that you will have to purchase could be the different content packs that Hytale will provide for example the fantasy adventure story more. Then I am sure that Hytale will be releasing a lot more content packs in the future with exciting new assets.

The information that we have provided above is what we think will happen. However do not take our words for it.

Speaking of Harry Potter, hello :D
I doubt being f2p would be anygood if the base game experience is paid???

XPHonza

They will probably have a really good anti-cheat in their own client and they said that they dont want players modifying the client and only the server will be modifyable so making clients with hacks is imo impossible they could have their own compression system which would make it even more impossible