• You can earn a permanent ☑️Verified status for your account across the entire Hytale Hub Network simply by following @Hytale_Hub on Twitter!

Can we get rid of the 'Loan' and 'Middleman' services forums?

Ridrith

That entire section is teetering on the shady scale of things, but I think from a perspective of someone who is coming onto these forums it's a huge turn off to see people asking for "loans" in the amount of what equals to 15-20 dollars. I think it's an even bigger problem when you consider that the targeted audience for Hytale is in a lot of ways, those who play Minecraft on the daily. Rather we like it or not it's a younger group of players. However users who are looking to build teams or eventually, looking to recruit here for their own servers/services I think will be turned off by what amounts to a "I'm too young to have a job to pay for a 20 dollar game, please help me." section.

Also the website is a little heavy on the CSS and the constant updates about referral contests and what not makes it seem woefully unprofessional. The only reason I actually found this website initially was because someone was soliciting in PMs on discord on another server in the hopes of getting a free forum rank or something. Pretty obnoxious. I think in a lot of ways those mass invite programs end up doing you guys a disservice because they end up spamming folks who would have probably have found the website themselves anyways.

Billy

Retired Mod
That entire section is teetering on the shady scale of things, but I think from a perspective of someone who is coming onto these forums it's a huge turn off to see people asking for "loans" in the amount of what equals to 15-20 dollars. I think it's an even bigger problem when you consider that the targeted audience for Hytale is in a lot of ways, those who play Minecraft on the daily. Rather we like it or not it's a younger group of players. However users who are looking to build teams or eventually, looking to recruit here for their own servers/services I think will be turned off by what amounts to a "I'm too young to have a job to pay for a 20 dollar game, please help me." section.

Also the website is a little heavy on the CSS and the constant updates about referral contests and what not makes it seem woefully unprofessional. The only reason I actually found this website initially was because some was soliciting in whispers on another website in the hopes of getting a free forum rank or something. Pretty obnoxious.
I highly disagree with your suggestions.
  • This is a trade forum, all trade forums have these sub categories.
  • People who loan money should use common sense when choosing someone.
  • Loans are normally only for servers, promotion etc. Not for "buying a game" (and if you lend someone money for that: then it's your fault when they don't pay it back).
  • Middlemen are very useful for trading, they help keep everything secure. How is this a bad thing?
  • If someone advertised on another forum - report them on that website, we can't moderate other forums, nor do we encourage people to post on other forums, we discourage that where possible.
If you don't want to visit these sub forums and only want to talk - then talk in the discussion subforums. These subforums aren't an issue - it's to ensure that content is available for the game and people can advertise their services for those looking for them.

AgentB8

Hytale Corps
Master
I do agree with your point here.
However, I also understand their reasoning

AgentB8

Hytale Corps
Master
I highly disagree with your suggestions.
  • This is a trade forum, all trade forums have these sub categories.
  • People who loan money should use common sense when choosing someone.
  • Loans are normally only for servers, promotion etc. Not for "buying a game" (and if you lend someone money for that: then it's your fault when they don't pay it back).
  • Middlemen are very useful for trading, they help keep everything secure. How is this a bad thing?
  • If someone advertised on another forum - report them on that website, we can't moderate other forums, nor do we encourage people to post on other forums, we discourage that where possible.
Nice to see how quick helpers are with responses, and how they clearly know what they're talking about.

Ridrith

Fair enough, but I think given the posts that are currently in the loans section that isn't what it's being used for currently. So far it actually looks like it's for those who either don't have paypal and are looking for steam store credit or to purchase them the game. I don't know. It simply seems a little too blackhat to me for a community aimed at a younger audience.

Billy

Retired Mod
Fair enough, but I think given the posts that are currently in the loans section that isn't what it's being used for currently. So far it actually looks like it's for those who either don't have paypal and are looking for steam store credit or to purchase them the game. I don't know. It simply seems a little too blackhat to me for a community aimed at a younger audience.
Once the game releases - more people will use it for server related loans. Right now - there's not a great deal of reasons for loans relating to hytale.

We really don't want to moderate it harshly as it's honestly up to the person lending weather they make a good 'pitch' or not. If people create bad pitches - That's up to them to try and get the attention on that thread, we're not going to stop them just because their reasoning for a loan is bad. Unless a thread directly breaks our rules, we have no reason to remove/moderate it. (Obviously if threads were stupid loan reasons we'd remove them)

this is also a market, not every kid is into that stuff, sure, but few adults make lots of money doing stuff like this, so they have to show that by including those services

lordegeorge

Legend
Master
I certainly agree with the part about the site being so heavy... My poor hashbrown of a laptop is dying! (hashbrown because it's a smaller potato)

Edit: Also, the constant PMs notifying me of contests I either have no interest in or heard about elsewhere are getting on my nerves a bit (haven't received one in a little bit, but still annoying). I think we should either have an option to disable those or get rid of them completely.

Pearson Wright

Just wanted to provide you all with an update:

After deliberation, we did end up removing both of these Forum nodes, as well as a few others that fit the description of being "too money oriented".

Dev

MC Modder and Experienced Java Developer. 19
Legend
Master
Just wanted to provide you all with an update:

After deliberation, we did end up removing both of these Forum nodes, as well as a few others that fit the description of being "too money oriented".
I strongly disagree with this update.
Why would you remove a section (Middlemen) which the main purpose is too ensure highly reputable people manages the deals and people dont have to deal directly with new/untrusted users.

Pearson Wright

I strongly disagree with this update.
Why would you remove a section (Middlemen) which the main purpose is too ensure highly reputable people manages the deals and people dont have to deal directly with new/untrusted users.
- Cough - Other Services