• You can earn a permanent ☑️Verified status for your account across the entire Hytale Hub Network simply by following @Hytale_Hub on Twitter!

Analyzing Grass

AgentB8

Hytale Corps
Master
Why hello there everyone. Let me ask you all a question.
What’s the best thing to do when you have a load of free time on the weekend?

Staring at grass! That’s what!
Well, maybe that’s not for everyone...
Meh, that’s what I did...

Grass!
What an exciting topic to discuss!
Really, though. While it may seem kind of dull at first glance, grass in Hytale is actually pretty confusing if you delve into it too far...
And believe me...
I have.

Anyhow, to start off, let me just say, grass is beautiful.
CF18DE5B-A690-413A-9686-2350808ABD8F.jpeg
From this image, we can see that the tall grass in Minecraft is a thing, though it looks like it comes in many different heights. There are also ferns, and what appear to be bushes in the background. The main takeaway from this screenshot is the theory that tall grass may actually grow (without bonemeal/fertilizer) in stages, unlike in Minecraft. If this is true, we need to start thinking about trees and others plant, maybe they can grow too. Who knows?
A6E5BD31-A3CE-4004-B2B3-D0173C368C87.jpeg
In this shot from the trailer, not only are we shown how the top grass texture actually feeds into the texture of the block next to it, as if it were an overlay, as seen on the path. This is kind of like an opposite to the current grass path block in Minecraft, which is imbedded into the ground. However, what I want to talk about for this one is in the bottom left corner, where we see the side of some grass blocks. The entire face appears to be grass, with no dirt. This is very similar to the “Better Grass” Minecraft mod. I do like this to some extent, however, this gets very complicated, if you look to the top right corner... is that... dirt?
Now it’s time to get complicated.
753D9108-7F1F-482F-9888-6E19501000D8.jpeg
From this image in the worldgen blog post, we see the side of the grass block from afar. If you look into the ravine, you see the same whole grass block, as do you with the entire plane (which I think looks pretty good). BUT. In the top right corner, we distinctly see a one-block incline, but there appears to be dirt on the bottom half, as it does in Minecraft. (There goes that simplicity). What gets even weirder is that the grass changes back to the whole block if you look further back from that. My best theory is that it changes with biome, since the only grass with dirt is by the river bed. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem that straightforward...
If you look back to that second image (a better angle right here)
593C9135-50FD-49F8-AACB-784F5E0ED713.jpeg
....you can clearly see that dirt-grass up close, BUT ITS NOT BY A RIVER! In fact, if you look to the left side in the back, you can see the two types of grass right next to each other!! I have no idea what the issue is here. Literally no explanation. This was so much easier when I knew nothing of this controversial grass... Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
So, for more clues, I looked to a different zone.
2BFC0D8F-57C7-47FD-B912-71375B832DBD.jpeg
Well, this just got more complicated. It seems like all of the grass in this zone 2 picture has the dirt underneath it (which kind of make’s sense, because it might look like hay or something otherwise). But really, unfortunately this has me unwillingly dragged off topic to yet another weird thing! If you look in the middle left, you can distinctly see that there is grass, but instead of dirt underneath (which we DO in fact see down below that) it’s sandstone! This opens up too many possibilities! I’m just done... I can’t take this anymore... I need something else to talk about... hey, look at that color transition from yellow to green, I’ve never see something so smooth!

Just help me out and come up with some theories, please!

Last edited:
i just wanna farm

AgentB8

Hytale Corps
Master
Do you want my next post to overly analyze farming?

yolothebow

yes do farming

AgentB8

Hytale Corps
Master
Just noticed you changed your avatar.
It looks good.