• You can earn a permanent ☑️Verified status for your account across the entire Hytale Hub Network simply by following @Hytale_Hub on Twitter!

Will Hytale have a tutorial and what will it look like?

What kind of tutorial would you want?

• No Tutorial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Isolated Island

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Basic Training

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Backstory

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Antnest8

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
☑️Verified
by Antnest8

Tutorials have existed in videogames for a long time and have grown in popularity ever since the rise of the age of digital distribution[1]. This secluded, easy level of the game offers new players a chance to learn the basics of the game before being thrown out into the possibly difficult challenges to come. Hytale will no doubt be a difficult and complex game, a tutorial could be necessary for new players to enjoy the game, skipping them pass frustration of learning the game through trial and error. It was ever since Noxy mentioned adding a tutorial in an interview that I have begun wondering what Hytale will offer.
As there is no way at the moment, outside of the team releasing more information, for us to determine what the tutorial will be. We will have to look at other games for insight of what we could possibly see.
Spear Throw.png
What makes a good tutorial[2]
Tutorials are very important and surprisingly, few of them are done correctly. First of all, a tutorials need to be skippable. This is very important for games like Hytale where players will be making new worlds and adventures all the time. A good tutorial is integrated with the game, for games like Hytale where the player is trying to be immersed in a world of fantasy and challenge, any tutorial popup that breaks the 4th wall can be distracting. A tutorial needs to not be frontloaded. Hytale will include different playstyles, loads of enemies, different items, NPCs and actions. If all of these concepts are taught at the very beginning, it can cause new players to skip it or forget what was just taught. Finally it needs to be fun, Tutorials can be the most boring parts of gameplay and have been known to stop players from continuing. If Hytale wants to make that great first impression then they better making the first minutes of gameplay exciting!
Great-Plateau-Thumb.jpg
Tutorials Hytale could use
#1 Isolated Island
If you have played games like Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or an installment of the DragonQuest series, you might be familiar with this kind of tutorial. The Tutorial is built into the world, in it's own isolated area. I think this tutorial has the greatest chance of being in Hytale as Noxy said in the interview that he was inspired by Breath of the Wild and how it's tutorial introduced the players to the game without feeling intrusive. I also think that with Hytale's preexisting world generation technology that this could be feasible as the world already includes an Island with the 4 zones on it amid an infinitely generated environment! Adding a smaller area with the tutorial would be simple.
download.jpg
#2 Basic Training
The start of many open world RPG's begin with a "Basic Training" of sorts. This is similar to Isolated Island but is usually smaller scale and less important to the plot. Hytale could implement a training course world or server that players could use to learn the basics. Games like the Mount and Blade Franchise, Magicka, Elite Dangerous and most First Person Shooters.
punch-tree.jpg
#3 No Tutorial
Much like many of it's predecessors, Hytale could just opt out of a real tutorial and leave characters to their own devices. While this would immediately make null all of what I have said before, there is an appeal for players to discover the game themselves. Especially a game where each world is unique and survival is a key mechanic. Each death adds to a players knowledge and experience. However as there are proponents for self-discovery there are also opponents. This process is hard and often forces players to turn to 3rd party sources like Wiki's and walkthroughs, ruining the entire purpose of self-discovery!
Octopath-Traveler.jpg
#4 Backstory/Foreshadowing Tutorial
Some games are efficient and decide to teach the character about both the mechanics and the lore. When done correctly a Backstory tutorial can offer an incredibly interactive tutorial and set the mood of the story. Tutorials like this often showcase the games full potential during the backstory and then, taking it away. The reason I put this here is because we know so little about Hytale's story, how intrusive it will be and where you the player will end up in it. I think there is a chance that this kind of tutorial could work for Hytale's adventure mode. Games like Last Day of June and Octopath Traveler do this well in different ways.

Lost image.jpg
Conclusion
What ever tutorial Hytale chooses to use, it will be integral with our long-term opinions of the game. Even if some of us will spend so much time in the game that we will eventually get the hang of it, a good tutorial will give us a great first look of the game. After all, we know how important first impressions can be...

References
1. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VideoGameTutorial
2.https://schoolofgamedesign.com/project/good-video-game-tutorial/

Kairu

Staff member
Helper
I think a tutorial would be great for new players to get hooked on this game :)

red death

I think the tutorial will be the number 3 or 2 but either way I think Hytale will be a great game

Zodak

Lead Moderator & Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Master
Personally, I prefer to learn about the game at my own pace.

Weird

Helper
Staff member
Helper
Hero
Something similar to the feel of the early Xbox 360 Mincraft tutorial sounds awesome.