• You can earn a permanent ☑️Verified status for your account across the entire Hytale Hub Network simply by following @Hytale_Hub on Twitter!

Anyone taking/graduated with EE/CS in college?

EightyOne

What was the experience like?

Ace

addison#0583
☑️Verified
I'm currently taking CS as my major. I assume that is differs greatly between universities, but there may be some similarities you can draw from. I'm only on my second semester, but I feel that I have a good taste for what the program is.

Unlike your other classes, the CS ones will rarely require a textbook. Some of the classes will not involve programming at all, and some will seem more like a math class than a computer class. It's very important that you like your professor, because it can get quite boring if they don't bring a good energy to the class.

Anything in specific you wanted to know? I'm just rambling a bit. :p

Wonka01

I finished my CS major this past semester. Pretty much everything Ace said has been true for me as well. I was a little frustrated with the lack of practical programming in my courses. The major is very theoretical and there are a lot of math classes you'll need to take. To gain practical skills you need to get a software development job or teach yourself. The major will only lay the groundwork. But once you finish the core of the major, depending on the school, there are a lot of cool electives you can take. I just took a game design course where we learned Unity and I created my own course with a professor for Advanced Game Development that I began this week. I've also been able to learn about some other cool topics like Machine Learning and Mobile App Development.

Overall it was a very challenging and rewarding experience. It was definitely worth it for me as I've been able to apply the skills I've learned to some topics I'm passionate about like Game Development. The best piece of advice I have is to look for project based classes and electives, they're a lot of fun and important to building a portfolio. Also the job market for CS majors is great in most countries.

EightyOne

If I could ask, what colleges did you two enroll in? I heard it varies quite a bit from college to college.

CorruptedGov

I am the Department of Digital Systems on the University of Piraeus in Greece.
The Department revolves around more IT-oriented subjects, like Network Security, AI, Digital Signals and Processing etc etc

The courses on the first semester, include C, Unix, Logical Programming, Linear Algebra, Mathematical Analysis, and Possibilities Theory. To be honest to you, I did not sign up for 12 hr of maths per week; I do enjoy it though, helped me evolve and think out of the box on certain aspects.

Next semester is Java, excited af.

Only advise I am gonna give is; if you like programming, just code.
Don't skip Uni Projects, try completing them in time and after delivery work more on them. Think of ways to make your program faster, more lightweight, include more features. Who knows, if you build a nice portfolio you might even get a job while being a student at the same time.

Dev

MC Modder and Experienced Java Developer. 19
Legend
Master
I'm currently taking CS as my major. I assume that is differs greatly between universities, but there may be some similarities you can draw from. I'm only on my second semester, but I feel that I have a good taste for what the program is.

Unlike your other classes, the CS ones will rarely require a textbook. Some of the classes will not involve programming at all, and some will seem more like a math class than a computer class. It's very important that you like your professor, because it can get quite boring if they don't bring a good energy to the class.

Anything in specific you wanted to know? I'm just rambling a bit. :p
Taking CS in college in Spain and here is more or less the same. The first year is (in my opinion) too theoretical, not too much coding and if you are good at maths it will help a lot.

Stuyk

I tried out College for a CS Degree. I took one semester and didn't want to climb over the forced general education classes. After my first semester, I decided I would push myself to just learn how to program. I've since gotten a job in my favorite field and program full time in various languages; Javascript, C++, Shell, etc.

Saved me from spending $50,000 on education by educating myself.